Friday, August 13, 2010

What to do with today's youth

It's late afternoon Saturday and I have nothing in the house to eat.  I had just finished watching "The Two Jake's" with Jack Nicholson.  I saw it was on one of the cable channels and I said to myself, "I'm going to watch this" as I wasn't sure if I've seen it before.  I know people have talked about it in the past but I couldn't remember what it was about.  Well, and not to ruin it, it's sort of a spin off of the great "Chinatown" done way back in the early 1970's.  Essentially the movie has many of the same characters from "Chinatown" and Jack Nicholson is in it, so about 10 minutes into it - I knew I had made a good decision.

The movie ends and I realize it's dinner time and I have nothing in the house to eat.  I haven't been to the supermarket in a few weeks, so when I said I had nothing - I had NOTHING.  I get some goodies for the week, some chicken, steaks, hamburgers, salad, etc - keep me going for the next week (actually enjoying a bowl of fruit right now).  As I'm checking out, there is a young man working the register and his name tag says "Jake".  I go, so your name is "Jake" and the young man looks at me and I get the feeling he thinks I'm trying to pick him up - LOL - perhaps he doesn't think that but at least to me it sounded like a pick up line.  So I kind of back peddled a little bit and said "I just watched the movie 'The Two Jakes', have you've seen it?"  He looks at me and says "no, I'm to young, I've never heard of it". 

I started thinking - wait a minute - this "kid" thinks a movie made in 1990 ("The Two Jakes) is ancient.  Sadly, I did start thinking about it and realized that 1990 was 20 years ago.  Put it this way, to this kid checking my groceries out at the Publix, "Star Wars" which was done in 1978 is an "ancient movie".   Hell, I remember when the movie came out.   When I was 16, a movie from 1958 would of been a "turn off" - they were still making black and white still.  It's funny though how some movies, songs and books can stand the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment