Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Baffled Met Fan

So after a ton of people telling me I should do a "blog", "public access" or send something to a "radio station to be an on-air talent", I am doing this blog thing.  I have no experience in publishing anything but people tend to like what I have to say.  I know, I know - people are just tell you that to make a person feel good but I'm starting this at the request of others, will they read it - who the hell knows.

Well I shall start with something that is baffling me.  I'm a Mets fan, I was born in New York, grew up in Chicago early on and then the family move to Hackettstown, NJ when I was around 12.  I grew up around all the Yankee fans, they were all around me - thank God, I was growing up in the 80's and the Mets were the team.  What so many people don't realize, there is a group of peope from the ages of 39 to 49 who grew up in the New York City Tri-State area that are Met fans because the Mets were "The Team of New York".  People born after 1975 in NYC region have basically lived in "Yankee Dominance" and since people are easily swayed by whoever is winning - so many became Yankee fans.   It's like people who listen to "top 40" radio - they just like whatever they are fed, have no real original thoughts - basically "stoogies".  Now, before the diehard Yankee fans get all jacked up - I'm saying the same thing about many Met fans who grew up loving the team because of the 1980's fan.  Then of course, there are many of us who were "born into" becoming the fans we became.  My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan and when they left - became a Met fan.  Growing up early on in Chicago, the Mets were a link to our family back east (my Mom used to live right down the street from Yankee Stadium as a kid - then her family moved to Brooklyn when she went into High Schoo - she actually babysat for some of the Brooklyn Dodger families, my last link to the Brooklyn Dodgers was my Great Grandfather played for like 2 weeks in the early 1900's - I've been told this but I have no found any records).  So, I am a Met fan.

As the Trade Deadline approached, I was curious to see what the Mets were going to do to - they had Carlos Beltran back in the line up and Ike Davis has been a pleasant surprised but lets face it - the Mets need some starting pitching.  They even have the luxury of not needed a number 1 starter (always nice to get one but they didn't need it - they have Santana), but a nice number 3 would be nice.  There were some options out there too but I didn't hear one news report of the Mets talking to anyone.  Then while attending the Tampa Bay Ray/Detriot Tiger game on Thursday afternoon there was some rumbling that the Yankees were making some moves.

The Yankees had picked up Austin Kearns.  Not really earth shattering news - nothing to be "baffled about" but then it gets ugly as I'm driving to my parents house (I am visiting my parents in the Tampa area and went to the game with some High School and College friends who live in the Tampa area - it was a nice time at The Trop).  The Phillies get Roy Oswalt, well the Mets competition are making some desperate moves here - but at least they they doing something.   By the time I arrive at my parents house just north of Tampa there is talk of the Yankees about get Adam Dunn or Lance Berkman.  I'm thinking to myself - you have to be kidding me.  The Yankees roster is loaded and they just added a veteran right handed bat with Austin Kearns, who is having a nice year.  Then I got to the computer - I mean the Mets HAVE to be talking to someone - nothing or as they say here in my current hometown of Miami - nada.

By Saturday I am just disgusted.  The Omar Mineya Riegn of Terror continues.  Mets have just lost 9 of the last 12 games (or something like that - bottomline from the All Star Game to today, they have stunk), and they haven't done ANYTHING.  Then I find out the Yankees trade for Kerry Wood AND Lance Berkman and what did the Yankees give up - NADA!  For the record, I know Brian Cashman a little bit.  We went to college together at Catholic University - now, he may not remember my name but I think he would remember my face - as a matter of fact one of the guys I went to the Tiger/Rays game went to Georgetown Prep with Brian and they both boarded there - so I have a connection.  I used to see Brian out all the time enjoying a beer like any other college kid.  Little did I know the dude that I was peeing next to talking small talk was going to be running the Evil Empire.  Looking back on it, it's sort of like Luke Skywalker finding out Darth Vader is his Dad.  It's just totally messed up.

The Yankees get 3 important - good players for NOTHING, the Mets just got beat by the last place Diamondbacks 14-1.  That is not a typo - the DBacks scored 14 runs at Citi-field.  By the way - it was Mets Hall of Fame Day - Daryl Strawberry and Dwight "Doc"Gooden were entered into the Mets Hall of Fame - complimentary 8 Balls, mirrors and razor blades were given out to the first 18,000 people at the game - only problem, only 17,000 showed up.  Got to love Omar Mineya's and his "eye for promotion" - forget bring in players but drugs are good.  My favorite Omar Mineya promotion was the Tony Bernazard Fight Night - good stuff.

So the Trade Deadline as come and go.  Leading up the deadling, I thought the Yankees were going to "stay the course".  The organization is dealing with George Stienbrenner's death and with George gone figured the Yankees were going to take it slow.  Like I already said, the team is freaking loaded with talent.  The Yankee infield may be the greatest offensive infield ever to play baseball and it hurts me to say that.  The numbers don't lie either.  Arod, Jeter, Cano, Texiera and Posada - that's impressive.  With all the action the Yankees made recently, you really have to wonder how little George was involved in the recent Yankee moves and I realize he was older and in bad health but it kind of appears he's been "totally out of the picture".  I think the Yankee success over the last 15 years is a direct link to the fact George was less involved with the team - when he came back from his 2nd suspension - he was a different, more distant owner (except for my the "Fat Toad" remark).

Well, there you go - I know I am not the only Met fan who is baffled at the lack of recent events made by the Mets AND I am not the only Met fan who is going to be sick and tired of listening to all the Yankee fans talk about all the great moves they made.  Also, I'm not the only Met fan that has to to admit that the Yankees did something good,  Truely baffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment