Thursday, August 5, 2010

True Blood Update

I am a huge fan of the TV.  I know that is incredibly shocking news, I'll wait a second until you pick yourselves off the floor.  A few years ago I was grabbed by the TV gods, let me tell you the TV gods are very sneaky and they did a number on me.  I was on the phone talking to me sister who was living in Phoenix at the time.  It was sort of early in the evening, probably around 8PM, as she just got home from work (remember there a few hour time difference).  Many months prior to this phone call with my sister, HBO had been pushing this new show called "True Blood".  Now, I'm an adult and I really don't like or care about the whole vampire thing which seems to have gathered popularity since those Anne Rice books (talk about a one trick pony - she ain't no Updike kids).  Am I guilty of watching "Interview with a Vampire"?  Yes, I mean it had some stars in it and hype - and we all love hype, don't we - in my defense, I watched on cable, not the movie theater - no way Anne Rice is getting my $11 at a movie theater - I've got taste and style.

Still, everytime HBO was inbetween shows they had these annoying commercials.  Like many people, I was like "I'm not interested in this stupid ass show about blood and vampires - now lets start 'Cathouse'".  "Cathouse" is great, we get to watch incredibly average women think they are hot and have sex for money.  Also, you get the great meltdown's from the like's of "Air Force Amy", I mean that's just pure entertainment right there folks.  If I was a teenager watching that show, I might be watching because there are naked women doing naughty thing but now I watch it for sheer comedy.  Although when you watch the show, you become incredibly curious about the whole thing, like "if you were a dude coming in for a hardcord 'party'(I mean you have to love it how they call it a "party", that cracks me up) and HBO comes up to you and says 'we are doing a montly documentary about this legal brother, would you sign here at the dotted line so we can put you on the show?"  Seriously, unless I'm getting a tremendous discount for showing myself with a hooker, why would I allow my face on TV at a whore house?   Imagine going into an interview for a job, you sit down, hand over your resume and the person interviewing goes "you look familiar, hey wait a minute - you spent $1,500 for a blow job from Air Force Amy, I remember you, you had the small penis and the mole on your right ass check, you really ought to get that checked out".

Sorry about that, you can see why I was so angry at watching "True Blood" commercials before "Cathouse" - the excitment of "Cathouse" can be quite powerful.  Either way, I had decided I am not watching this stupid show about dumbass vampires.  Then the TV gods hit me with a lightning volt - no joke, it happened so quick that I never had a chance.  As I was finishing up my phone call with my sister that fateful evening, HBO happened to be on - sure enough "True Blood" was on.  I hung up and just sort of started watching TV, it was that "strange time of night - 8:15PM" - most shows have started and you sort of wait til 8:30PM (you can tell I watch far to much TV).  The first 3 minutes of watching this vampire show some dude turns into a dog, then this Vampire dude is talking about life during the Civil War and there are a lot of naked women running around.  The next thing I know, I'm hooked on this show - break out the crackpipe, I didn't even see it coming but it got me.  Now, that I got a taste of the show, I had to watch the 2 previous episodes and of course HBO was there fulfill my fix when it decided to have a True Blood Marathon showing the first 3 episodes.

We are now a 3 seasons in and I see there is a pretty decent following for the show.  What I find so funny is that the people who don't watch the show, don't watch it for the same reason's I didn't want to watch it.  I even ask them to watch the first 3 episodes and if you don't like, then you don't like it but your going to like it.  It's funny how negative people can be when you tell them something is good - and this goes beyond TV, it could be food, beer, soda, anything.  I can never understand why people are so negative when you tell them something is "good", is it because you discovered it before they did?  Some scientist ought to do some sort of study, if the Government wants to give me a grant for $25 Million, I'll go walking around the streets and ask people.

So - we are in the middle of a crazy Season 3 and this show is getting great.  After last week's episode when Sookie was getting bit by Lorena, I was getting a little nervous that True Blood was going to "Jump the Shark" but we got lucky and it didn't.  That's the one thing I get nervous about watching "True Blood" is that they will step over the line and "jump the shark". 

The most recent show did have a "Jump the Shark" moment when Sookie went into the "dreamfaze" but the naked women made it bearable to watch - and good looking naked women automatically block any "Jump the Shark" moments (see if Fonzie was watersking and there were naked chicks driving the boat - the "Jump the Shark" moment would never of happened).  At the same time though we learn something about Ms. Sookie Stackhouse.  While we know she is not normal because she can read minds and occasionally shoot electric volts out of hand, we don't really know what she is.  Slowly though we are starting to figure out her family history - we heard that her parents didn't drown, we know that the Queen of Lousiana knows Sookie's secret and we know the Vampire Bill didn't melt like a Snicker Bar in the sun after he drank Sookie's Blood.

It's pretty evident to me that Sookie's parents were killed by the Queen or her minions and that she knew about the power that some in Sookie's family had.  The only part I can't put together is how would Hadley (her cousin) know all this and Sookie not.  Sookie Blood is "special" but how special.  Well, we will find out - lets just hope they keep us waiting 4 episodes.  I mean - show a little class, I hate the whole "Cliffhanger" stuff at the end.  The show is too good for cheap stunts like the cliffhanger ending (like some cheesy 1970's show - like "Dallas" and who Shot JR?) - have a little class.

Lets face it though, the show really revolved Eric, Pam and the Vampire Kingdom.  I mean who doesn't dig a little "Vampire Revolution".  It's seems pretty clear that King Russell is a bad ass vampire, did you guys see how quick he got the Magister in those chains?  I think Eric was a little "taken back" by his moves.  Outside Godric, Eric is the baddest vampire we know and King Russell is almost 2,000 years older then Eric (put it perspective he's 1,000 older the Godric - too bad Godric is dead, lets face it a Godric/Russell showdown would of been GREAT).

I will leave this post as is and hope perhaps someone will comment and share any True Blood ideas - I might as well make "Thursday" True Blood Day - with an occasional mention of Mad Men - an tremendous show in itself.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment